When Matt and I first started out healthy journey, I used to make a healthy version of Eggplant Parm, but I wouldn't say it was "as healthy" as it could've been... BUT that was pre-21 Day Fix.. it was pre-knowledge of PORTION CONTROL!!
When grocery shopping this week I bought an eggplant with ALL intentions of saving it for Friday's PIZZA night.. but I noticed that it was getting soft, and I had turkey defrosted, and sauce made, so I LET MY MIND WORK!!!!
Here's my original recipe!! :) :) :)
Easy Eggplant Parm w/ Ground Turkey
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey **Optional if you'd like a vegetarian option**
- 1/2 cup whole wheat panko bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup liquid egg whites
- 2 cups Grandma's sauce (or like low-sodium version)
- 1 Tbsp. italian seasoning, divided use*
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup organic part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Fresh or freeze dried basil for garnish
- 1 tsp. EVOO*
- nonstick cooking spray
*not needed for vegetarian option: see directions*
- Preheat over to 350*
- Prepare a 9x13 baking pan with nonstick cooking spray, set aside
- Slice eggplant into 1/4 inch thick coins
- Pour bread crumbs into a small bowl, and egg whites into a separate small bowl for dipping
- Sprinkle 1 1/2 tsp italian seasoning into bread crumbs and mix
- Use a fork to dip each slice of eggplant into the egg whites, and use a spoon to sprinkle with breadcrumb mixture; lay each slice in prepared pan. Try to only do one layer if possible (it's okay if they overlap).
- Place finished eggplant into oven, and bake 25 minutes, or until a fork goes through easily.
- If not making a vegetarian option, while baking, in a large, deep skillet, head 1 tsp EVOO, and brown ground turkey over medium-high heat with remaining 1 1/2 tsp italian seasoning until cooked throughly.
- When cooked, mix in 2 cups sauce (if making vegetarian option, just heat sauce).
- Simmer until eggplant is through cooking.
- Pour turkey/sauce mixture over eggplant, and top with 3/4 cup cheese and basil.
- Bake an additional 5-8 minutes, or until cheese is melted completely
- Allow to cool 5 minutes before serving
**Serve with steamed broccoli or a side salad :)
Container count without sides: 2 green, 1 red, 1/2 blue, 1/2 tsp